- Be Positive - Discuss your children's fears while encouraging a confident approach to making new friends.
- Fear Not - Chances are, you'll be a little nervous too. Be careful not to transfer your anxieties over to them.
- Join Up - Encourage your children to join school clubs/teams and participate in after-school activities in order to meet new friends and have fun.
- Stay in Touch - Make sure your kids know they’re still able to see their old friends. Help your children keep in touch by encouraging them to invite old friends over for visits.
- Do Your Part - Parent/teacher groups are a great way for you to connect with the school community. Attending field trips is another great way to get involved.
Moving to a new school can be a difficult transition so try and emphasize the positive when discussing the challenges and opportunities your children face. If you encourage them to share their feelings with you, it'll be much easier for them to adjust to their new surroundings.